Thursday, September 2, 2010

Miku - Sushi isn't just rolls

A friend strongly recommended me to try out Miku Restaurant since he had a really good experience there and would like me to check it out. So, guess where I celebrated my birthday this year? Miku!

I was planning to try the Omakase but their Omakase includes beef that I do not eat :( It was a little surprising when they cannot have Omakase without beef in a sushi restaurant. Doesn't sushi stress on seafood? And Omakase is supposed to be tailored to the customers' preference?

We ordered 5 dishes and they started us off with the Aburi Tuna, i.e. tuna charcoal-seared with blow torch. Aburi simply means the grilled on top of charcoal. Instead of grilling the on top of the BBQ, they torch the tuna over a charcoal. However, if the server hadn't told me that the dish was an aburi dish, I would not have realized at all. All thanks to the slightly sauteed sweet onions that help the disguise!



Before I could finish the previous dish, the Sashimi Salad was already on the table. At first glance, I thought I would hate it because of the amount of oil that you can clearly see in the picture. But interestingly, it turned out to be my second favourite dish of the evening. The dressing, which is not over powering at all, brought out the sweetnness of the seafood itself while preventing the seafood from becoming too dry.





As you can guess, the Aburi Salmon Oshi Sushi was served before we have a chance to finish the first 2 dishes. We were recommended to try it while it's still hot. Seeing how slow we were eating, the server was nice to put a hold on the next two dishes. That was the first time I had oshi(pressed) sushi. Yes, sushi is more than just rolls. It's their recommended dish and it was definitely my favourite. The portion of rice is just nice and it was not "over-pressed". The jalapeno on top of the sushi did not taste like jalapeno at all as it has blended itself very nicely into the sushi while giving a little sting to the aburi salmon.


Perhaps I was completely blown away by how awesome the previous dish was before the following Seabreeze Roll. So, it might not get as much credit it should from me. This roll was made from maguro(tuna) and avocado "topped with house made nori sauce and shiso leaf". The rice wasn't a filler but a part of the roll itself. The nori(seaweed) sauce was very key to bringing the tuna and the avocado together as well.



The Minami Roll was new on the menu that evening and seeing how ambitious I usually am when it comes to food, we decided to give a try. I have to say, it's the least favourite dish of the night. Still better than California Rolls but, not something I would recommend. The rice was soaked in plum wine and then wrapped with tofu-crepe instead of seaweed. The combination is unusual but the roll did not impress me as the rice was a little too soggy to hold the ingredients in the roll together. They used cucumber and yama imo(literally, mountain taro) to balance out the taste but they didn't help much.




Since it was my birthday, I got my birthday present! I really do not remember the name of the dessert but hey, it was made by a pastry chef! And I have sweet tooth! What can go wrong? Nothing! :love:

No comments:

Post a Comment